thanks to dennis who figured this out… and sent me a link to the song.
We have one right outside our windows, and I do believe this bird is the one who starts up in the middle of the night sometimes.
and here’s what he sounds like.
Nice little tidbits about the mockingbird from wikipedia.
- This is the state bird of Arkansas, Florida, Mississippi, Tennessee and Texas.
- It features in the title and central metaphor of the novel To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee. In that novel, mockingbirds are portrayed as innocent and generous, and two of the major characters, Atticus Finch and Miss Maudie, say it is a sin to kill a mockingbird because “they don’t do one thing for us but make music for us to enjoy. They don’t eat up people’s gardens, don’t nest in corncribs, they don’t do one thing but sing their hearts out for us”.
- The traditional American lullaby “Hush Little Baby” has been recorded in numerous musical styles. The lyrics refer Northern Mockingbirds once being popular as pets, and begin:
- Hush little baby, don’t say a word,
- Mama’s gonna buy you a mockingbird.
- And if that mockingbird don’t sing,
- Mama’s gonna buy you a diamond ring.
- President Thomas Jefferson had a pet mockingbird named Dick.
- On the television show, Mister Rogers Neighborhood, the puppet character of King Friday XIII has a pet mockingbird (a wooden bird on a stick) whose name is Mimus Polyglottos.